A license is required to sell tobacco products; a license is also required for wholesalers who sell tobacco products to retailers.
The purpose of the permit requirement is to reduce the illegal trade in tobacco products and to improve compliance with the Tobacco Act's ban on the sale of tobacco products to persons under 18 years of age. The licensing requirement tests the suitability of the trader before a decision is taken. In case of misconduct, the license can be withdrawn.
What does it cost to make an application?
The cost of our processing of an application is SEK 8960
Anyone who sells tobacco is required by law to ensure that the point of sale has a self-monitoring program adapted to the business. We recommend that you have a common self-monitoring program for the different product categories above if you sell several of them. The self-monitoring program should contain information on the point of sale's procedures for sales. The procedures should ensure that the business complies with laws and other requirements for sales.
Supervision and fees
Sales of tobacco products pay an annual supervision fee, which can vary in size depending on the products sold. Through the annual supervision fee, you pay for the licensing unit's supervision and administration of your sales.
If you make a change to your business, you must notify the change.
Examples of changes:
- Change of contact details
- Change in ownership and company status
- Change in self-monitoring program
- Interruption of tobacco sales
- Termination of tobacco sales
- Tobacco - Public Health Agency (in Swedish) External link, opens in new window.
- The law on tobacco (in Swedish) External link, opens in new window.
- Authorization to sell tobacco to consumers (in Swedish) External link, opens in new window.
- Authorization to sell tobacco to retailers (in Swedish) External link, opens in new window.
Did you find this information helpful?
Västra Gästriklands samhällsbyggnadsförvaltning - Together we create the society of the future in Hofors, Ockelbo and Sandviken.